Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Inedible and The Incredible

A few days ago I stumbled upon this great blog--it's called The First Mess--and it's all about vegan/vegetarian cooking, cooking with what's in season, just great food in general. And the woman who writes is a great photographer, because all the food looks incredible! And edible, it looks very edible too. Or maybe, it just looks so good because it's all natural. Regardless, you should (I'm just going to assume there's more people reading this than me) all go check it out!

But anyway, I found the blog on the night that I'm assigned to cook at my apartment. My roommates and I all take turns cooking--it's cheaper and we get to try new things! I'm known for trying weird experimental things, so when I came home with a recipe I found on The First Mess for chocolate vegan pancakes, it wasn't really a surprise.

Now, I've never made pancakes before.

And, my first time making them was quite an adventure. The first one (or two) turned out terrible. I mean, they were still tasty, but it looked inedible instead of incredible.

The third time I tried, things came out much better. And I learned that you have to let your griddle get hot enough or else, well, you end up with the first two things I tried to serve my friends. I hid them on the bottom of the pancake pile but eventually, they were discovered. My boyfriend called and wanted to know how they were turning out, and when I sent him pictures, he told me that Worst Cooks in America was still auditioning for next season, thanks boyfriend (Worst Cooks in America is kind of a running joke because we have a friend that is/was on there this season--go Alina Bolshakova!).

But when my roommates bit into the pancakes, it was heavenly. There was moaning and they immediately jumped up to get more--talk about flattering! It made me feel so good.


So, what I'm trying to say here, I guess, is don't give up on things, even if they look positively dismal, such as my first couple of pancakes. Because second (or third) chances are always worth it. And it's always possible to turn the inedible into incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment